Orca Action Month Kick-Off Event and Parade
1 pm to 5 pm, Sunday, June 4th
Friday Harbor, San Juan Island
RSVP via Facebook!
Join Friends of the San Juans, Wild Orca, and Orca Network as we kick off Orca Action Month, honoring the Lasting Legacies of the Southern Residents and celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Endangered Species Act. Come prepared to share your stories of the whales and mingle with other folks passionate about the Southern Resident killer whales!
Orca Dorsal Fin Parade:
- 1 pm – 2 pm: Start at the County Courthouse South Lawn, 350 Court St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Meet at the San Juan County Courthouse lawn at 1:00 to grab a life-size dorsal fin (or two!) We will walk as a pod on a sidewalk parade route through Friday Harbor, ending at the San Juan Island Grange at 2:00. If you want to sign-up to carry an orca fin in the parade, or if you have any questions, email Jess Newley, [email protected].
Event at San Juan Island Grange:
This event is also available as a Zoom webinar for those unable to attend in person. Register for the webinar.
- 2 pm – 3 pm: Social time, refreshments, storytelling
- 3 pm – 5 pm: Hybrid in-person/virtual event
- 3 – 3:10 pm: Welcome and Virtual visits from Orca Month Kick-off events in Seattle and Sidney, B.C.
- 3:30 pm: Presentation from Jay Julius of Se’Si’Le and the Lummi Nation. Jay will be joining us in person at the Grange.
- 4:15 pm: Presentation from Florian Graner of Sealife Productions. Florian will be joining us remotely from Langley Whale Center on Whidbey Island.
If you are near Seattle, Whidbey Island or Sidney, B.C., check out additional Orca Month Kick-Off events here!
About our Keynote Speakers:
Jay Julius, W’tot lhem, is the former Chairman of the Lummi Nation, a full-time fisherman and father, and the Founder and President of Se’Si’Le. Read Jay’s recent Earth Day message on sanjuans.org.
Florian Graner started Sealife Productions, a family company that films and produces wildlife documentaries. Florian now holds a Ph.D. in Marine Biology with specialization in marine mammals. He brings passion and extensive subject knowledge to his films. Learn more.